Saturday, January 23, 2010

Turkey Corn Chili

Oh Rachel Ray, how you irk me with your orange and green kitchen, your EVOO, and all those "sammies" and "stewps". But somehow I let you in, back in my early years, to teach me about smashing and peeling a garlic clove with the back of your knife and putting your pasta water on to boil when you start your meal- so it's waiting for you, not you waiting for it.... (rocket science I tell you). I first saw your picture in the Globe as you trotted after a vacation on $40 a day here in Boston. After a quick search, I discovered this thing know as "the Food Network" (and let me tell you it's been a full blown war with Mr. Smith over the remote control ever since... suck it ESPN). Somewhere along the way I even bought your first cookbook, and allowed some of the recipes into my kitchen. If you come looking for this book at my house, I assure you that I hide this guilty pleasure in the back of the pantry where I keep the crock pot, in fear of embarrassment that someone actually sees I have it.


Turkey Corn Chili
Adapted from: Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Comfort Meals

1 tablespoon corn oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 – 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey meat
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 (28-ounce) can crushed or diced tomatoes
1 (12- ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce
3 scallions, white and greens, chopped
salt & pepper

Heat a deep pot over medium high heat. Add oil to your pot and heat one minute. Add onion and cook 3-5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for additional minute. Add in turkey and cook until thoroughly cooked and broken up (5-7 minutes).
Add pepper, corn and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Stir in spices, pepper sauce, and scallions and reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish chili with chopped scallions and cheddar cheese and serve with tortilla chips or quesadillas.

No comments: