Sunday, January 3, 2010

Big Swede

Wow- first post down... what a relief! That little post took about 2 years to write as I tried to decide what I would do with this space. I am a home cook and lover of food that started way back in my grandfathers garden as a toddler. The smell of earth and the taste of peas straight from the pod are as much ingrained as a memory as learning to walk for me. In the spring, you can often find me at the Copley farmers market popping them in my mouth before I can even pay the vendors. Anywho... it is this same Swedish grandfather, Mofa (Mof-ah), whose parents did not know the difference between an apple and a tomato when they came to this country. One bite in to what they thought was their beloved native orchard fruit, and they had a big surprise. So to celebrate the love of a swede and his apple I give you my family's recipe for Swedish Apple Pie.

Swedish Apple Pie

9" oven proof pie dish
5-6 Apples, peeled and thinly sliced, (or enough to fill up the pan and make a little mound)
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, separated
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 cup melted sweet butter, plus extra for buttering the dish
1 cup flour
1 egg, whisked well
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter the pie dish and arrange the apples in a mound inside the dish.
Sprinkle the apples with 1 tablespoon of the sugar and cinnamon.
Mix together the melted butter, remaining sugar, flour, egg, and chopped walnuts.
Spread over the apples.
Bake for 45 min or until the top is brown.

Serve with warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream!
This pie sits somewhere between a pie and a crisp, with no soggy pie shell and the topping pulls together for an beautiful crunch!

No comments: