Sunday, January 31, 2010

Basics: Roasted Beets

I love me some root veggies! If Mr. Smith and I are out to eat and there's a beet salad on the menu- I. Own. It.. The sweet, intense, earthy, deliciousness paired with a creamy cheese, a couple toasted nuts, a crisp green lettuce and I'm in business. I'm often asked how to roast them so I figured I would share it here. I assure you, it is not cold fusion, and this method is used in many other kitchens, so I can not even begin to take ownership. But once you have this down you can roast just about anything. The trick is a hot oven, and an oil with a high smoking temperature. I love olive oil as much as the next person, but the low smoking point does not make it desirable for roasting (aka- after about 10 minutes Mr. Smith is cursing and pulling the smoke detectors off of the ceiling), so use a vegetable oil. Also, I often find recipes that advocate for peeling and chopping the beets before roasting, but I find it leaves them dry and deprives them of their sweetness. Leaving them whole and peeling post-roast will return the favor for a couple pink fingers in spades!


Roasted Beets

1 bunch beets, (4-5) with greens removed and gently washed to remove soil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon ground sea salt
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Clean beets and arrange them in an oven proof dish for roasting without having them touch one another.
Sprinkle with oil, salt, and pepper and rub to coat evenly.
Place in oven and roast for 45 minutes. Check for tenderness with a knife, and remove or add time accordingly (if knife slides in without much fight- remove).
Let beets rest until they are cool enough to handle. Once you can handle them the skins should rub off easily without resistance (if needed use a vegetable peeler).
Leave them whole until ready to use. I often roast a bunch on the weekend and use them in my lunches all week, or immediately chop and top a salad for a crowd!

No comments: