Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cole Slaw

So, to go with those super trashy pulled pork sandwiches, I love to whip up a batch of crunchy cole slaw. Somehow a love of all things cabbage eluded me for the first 3 decades of my life, but I have embraced it with a vengeance! Deb over at Smitten Kitchen shares my love and has a great recipe which I share below. Keep in mind, this is more technique than actual ingredients, so please use whatever your heart desires!


Dead Simple Slaw
Adapted from: Smitten Kitchen
2 1/2 lb green cabbage, cored and cut into chunks, then finely shredded
1 lb red cabbage, cored and cut into chunks, then finely shredded
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 large carrots, coarsely grated
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar

Toss all vegetables in a large bowl with 1 tsp each of salt and pepper. Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar, then toss with slaw. Chill, covered, stirring occasionally, at least 1 hour (for vegetables to wilt and flavors to blend).

Do ahead: Slaw can be chilled up to 1 day.

No comments: